A 150g glass of 100% grapefruit juice or ½ of a medium fresh grapefruit (120g) are excellent sources of vitamin C, providing 47% (juice) and 53% (fruit) of the Reference Intake (RI).*
Vitamin C plays a key role in supporting a healthy immune system1-4 and may reduce the duration and severity of cold symptoms.5 Vitamin C is thought to have an anti-histamine effect,1,4,6 and may support lung function.1,7 Furthermore, the absorption of iron found in plant-based foods may increase when consumed with vitamin C.1-4 Thus, consuming fresh grapefruit or 100% grapefruit juice along with plants high in iron, such as dark leafy greens or lentils, may help your body absorb more iron.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant found in food and is necessary for collagen formation, an essential component of skin, bones, gums, and cartilage.1-4 Vitamin C also helps regenerate vitamin E into its antioxidant form providing further protection against damage.1,3
Fruits and vegetables supply a large proportion of vitamin C in the diets of the general population.3 Citrus fruits and juices are some of the richest sources of vitamin C.8 Kale, kiwi, and red bell peppers also have significant amounts of vitamin C.
Vitamin C is degraded by heat; therefore, high heat or prolonged cooking can reduce the vitamin C concentration of foods.9 Fortunately, grapefruit is a perfect pairing for many dishes, and tastes delicious whether enjoyed raw or cooked.
Life Stage Benefits
Below are age-specific benefits that vitamin C provides the body.
- Helps baby’s developing bones and tissues.
- Iron needs increase during pregnancy,1 and vitamin C may promote the absorption of plant-based iron when consumed together.1-4
- Vitamin C needs greatly increase during breastfeeding.1
- Vitamin C intake by mothers may influence the amount of vitamin C in breast milk10 so consuming vitamin C-rich foods during pregnancy and lactation is important.
Kids, Teens & Young Adults
- Helps with the healing of cuts and scrapes.
- Supports developing bones and tissues.
- Supports a healthy immune system to help a body in its natural fight against infection.
- Vitamin C’s antioxidant activity helps to mitigate inflammation, which is associated with many chronic diseases.
- Vitamin C needs increase during wound healing.11
- May support cardiovascular health.2-4
- Plays a role in healthy aging of the brain, particularly in elderly with insufficient vitamin C status.2
- Diets low in fat and containing fibre, vitamin A or vitamin C may reduce the risk of some types of cancers – A disease associated with many factors.12
Learn more about the health benefits of fresh Florida Grapefruit and Florida Grapefruit Juice.
*Reference Intake: Based on a 2000 calorie diet. Information is not intended for labelling food in packaged form. Nutrient values may vary based on variety of citrus fruit and place of origin. Check with your citrus vendor for additional information.