- 1 pink Florida grapefruit, segmented
- 150 g cooked beetroot, cubed
- 130 g ricotta cheese
- 35 g washed and picked baby salad leaves, such as ruby chard, spinach, rocket or mizuna
- 4 slices white bread, cut into 2-centimetre cubes
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- Juice of half a Florida grapefruit
- Juice of 1 orange
- 90 ml lemon oil*
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
*This can be bought in most supermarkets, or you can make your own by warming olive oil gently with thinly pared lemon zest and leaving to infuse for a day or so
Pick the mint leaves from their stalks and crush the stalks lightly.Shred the leaves.Warm the olive oil in a pan and add the mint stalks.Leave on one side to infuse (the longer you leave this the better).Heat the mint-infused oil in a pan and fry the bread cubes until pale golden.Add the chopped mint leaves and drain on kitchen paper.
When you’re ready to eat, mix the salad leaves, grapefruit and beetroot in a salad bowl.Shake the dressing ingredients together and pour it over the leaves.Crumble the ricotta cheese over the salad and scatter over the croutons.