Florida Grapefruit, Apple, and California Walnuts Crumble
- 2 Florida Grapefruit
- 100g California Walnuts, broken up
- 1kg Bramley apples peeled, core removed, and diced
- 200g caster sugar
- 20g corn flour/starch
- A pinch of salt
- 100g rolled oats
- 100g gluten-free rice flour
- 100g butter
- 1 egg yolk
1. Peel and remove the core from the apples before cutting into 1/2cm slices.
2. In a large shallow pan, pour the sugar in with the apples and cook on a medium heat.
3. Cut the skin off of the Florida Grapefruit, then slice the segments out before adding to the apples.
4. Add a pinch of salt to help improve the flavour.
5. To make the crumble, break the California Walnuts up in your hand and place into a mixing bowl.
6. Add the flour, oats, and butter to the bowl along with the sugar and mix together with your hands to make a crumble.
7. Finally for the crumble, add an egg yolk and stir together.
8. Mix the corn flour with a little water to make a thin paste.
9. When the apples are soft and cooked, pour the corn flour in and stir together.
10. The apple and Florida Grapefruit mixture will thicken as you stir together. Remove from the heat and pour into an ovenproof dish ready for the crumble.
11. Scatter the crumble mixture over the apples and grapefruit, and gently spread out.
12. Bake in the oven at 170c for 30-40 minutes, until golden.